Map of the Soul: 7

This is the second and final album in the Map of the Soul series, exploring the question of "who am I?" using Carl Jung's theory of the mind.

Song Meaning – Summaries

Interlude: Shadow
(SUGA's solo) I hide more of myself as I gain more success. I'm internally conflicted: this life is what my ambitious self wanted so why am I complaining? But the hidden parts of me demand to be acknowledged. I must accept that both the outward and hidden parts of me are both me.

Black Swan
I fear the possibility that I've lost my passion for music, my calling. I can't feel the music anymore. But I push through and ultimately reclaim my love for music.

Filter
(Jimin's solo) Pick the version of me that you want to see. I'll keep you entertained; just keep your eyes on me.

My Time
(Jungkook's solo) I grew up so quickly and so differently from everyone else. Sometimes it's too much. I'm missing out on getting to experience a relationship. Someday I'll be able to reclaim my own time.

Louder than Bombs
(To ARMY) We know you carry pain and that affects us. You're not alone. We'll keep singing for you, to lift you up.

ON
This kind of life comes with fear, pain and darkness. But I'm a fighter and ARMY gives me power, so bring on the pain.

UGH!
(To internet trolls) You make malicious comments that have no value. The anger you spark actually does harm. It hurts people and it desensitizes / draws away energy from constructive anger that can create positive change. Stop!

00:00 (Zero O'Clock)
There are days when you may feel down and 'off' for no reason, unsuccessful at combatting your negative thoughts. But every night at midnight is a reset. I hope to be a little happier tomorrow.

Inner Child
(V's solo) The younger me put up walls, (not daring to dream). I want to go back and tell my younger self to have hope. 'We'll experience the wonder of ARMY and of what we will become', I'd tell myself.

Friends
(About Jimin and V's friendship, including many inside references) Our friendship is precious to me; let's stay in each others' lives forever even after we're out of the spotlight.

Moon
(Jin's solo to ARMY) You're my earth and I'm your moon. You stay with me, even as you see the other sides of me. You bring out my bright side, so I'll be a small light for you.

Respect
The term respect is used too lightly. We should reserve it for the highest level of admiration, and only use it genuinely on each other once it's earned.

We Are Bulletproof: the Eternal
We went through hardships starting out, but nothing can impede us now because you, ARMY, are with us. It's no longer just the seven of us, because we have you.

Outro: Ego
(J-Hope's solo) I wonder whether it was the right choice to take this path. I realize that there's no going back, and that I would have deeply regretted it had I not pursued my dream. This path is my fate. So I will go forward confidently.



Album release date: February 2020
Watched a few explanation videos on Youtube to help with interpretations. 

No comments:

Post a Comment