Wings

This album is about achieving your dreams and encountering temptations on that path. It is the next phase in growing up, following from the previous album series about youthhood. The key metaphor in this album compares achieving your dreams to growing wings and taking flight.


Song Meaning – Summaries

Intro: Boy Meets Evil
I let the temptation of immature love lure me away from my dreams. I couldn't resist it.

Blood Sweat & Tears
I'm so under your spell that I left my soul behind. Hold the spell tighter over me.

Begin
(Jungkook talking about the six other members) You are the reason I am me and the reason why I have any of this. My only pain is seeing you in pain.

Lie
(Jimin referring to his ruminating thoughts about not being good enough) I can't get away from these lies that drown me. I want these lies to leave me alone.

Stigma
(V's solo) I wronged you. This pain deepens every day.

First Love
(SUGA talking about what his piano means to him) My piano was my first love. I discovered it at a young age and loved it. I left it for a while, but came back to it as it saw me through hardships. I came to realize I can't ever let go of it.

Reflection
(RM's solo) Every day, I alternate between liking and disliking myself. As I spend time by myself reflecting in Ttukseom, I search for comfort and an answer.

MAMA
(J-Hope's solo) Mama, you gave me so much in order for me to become a dance performer. So much of what I've achieved is thanks to you. You can relax and let me take care of you now.

Awake
(Jin's solo) I may never improve enough to be talented, but I will keep trying my best with the other members by my side.

Lost
I don't know which direction to go in life now, but I believe that I have to lose my way to find it. So I'll keep wandering on my journey.

BTS Cypher 4
Go ahead and criticize us. It means you're still paying attention to us. I'll keep on succeeding to greater heights while you remain below me.

Am I Wrong
The government isn't taking care of the people's needs, socioeconomic inequality is severe, tragedies are happening, and yet you pretend like it's all normal. Is any of that incorrect (rhetorical)? Still, despite the world going crazy, I won't give up and I'll keep searching for my values.

21st Century Girl
(To 20th and 21st century women) You are strong and you're enough. Don't ever change for others.

2! 3!
(To ARMY) I can't promise that life will be all positive. We got criticized. But it drove us to succeed. I didn't want to show you my dark sides, but thanks for sticking with us. On the count of three, let's forget the struggles of the past and have hope for the future.

Interlude: Wings
I dreamed of having wings (wings as a metaphor for achieving dreams). Let's strive for our dreams; I believe we'll be able to fly.



Album release date: October 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment